Hello There! Meet the blogger Alana Jones

 


Hello! Nice to meet you, I'm Alana.

I am 24 years old and from the town of Kingston, WA. I come from a big family (I am the youngest of 9 kids) and I love my life. 

I am Alaskan Native from the Kenaitze Tribe, and I am excited to attend UAF to learn more about my culture and background. More about me... let me think.... my favorite food is pizza, my favorite movie genre is action and primarily Marvel movies, I love to cook, bake, travel, and play video games. 

I have two dogs and two cats with my fiancé Iokepa, him and I have been together for 5 years this October and we got engaged July 10th, 2021! I currently work as a salon manager on Bainbridge Island with two of my childhood best friends and I love my job! Connecting with people on a daily basis and supporting my team of amazing hair stylists and one esthetician makes my days full of inspiration and sometimes headaches, but that is what our amazing pacific northwest coffee is for! 

That is me! I hope you enjoyed my introduction. 

My Relationship to Art: 

As a child I loved to paint and color, I have fond memories of going into all my elementary school classes excited for a new art project because every year for 1st-5th grade we got to do a big art project as a memory of the year we had. my mother is sentimental and has kept all my work and it is fun to look back on what I made. My favorites are a clay heart sculpture for my mom on Mother's Day and a burned wood plank with an image of a diver's helmet for my father. I have always been fond of art and the sort of escape into creativity it provides. Being a fully employed member of society and full-time student I do not have as much time for art so I think this class will help me tap back into world. I have always enjoyed museums and we have a lot of local ones in my community, we also have art walk Fridays here so I will have to attend more of those with my friends and family in the future. 


A piece of art I find appealing: 


The artwork I appreciate in this image is the black steel sculptures of whale tales with the gold name brackets on them. These pieces are from my local tribe's reservation called the Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe, and this is their memorial for veterans. Both of my parents served in the Navy and as well with many of my other extended family members. I love these pieces of art because they honor all their own tribal members who have served, and it is outside by their community clinic, library, and longhouse so anyone can take a stroll on their beautiful grounds and appreciate the artwork and the names bestowed upon them. To see more art from this amazing community they have a website with all their art archives and ongoing projects. 


Comments

  1. I’ve always appreciated when Alana brought home her art projects. My two favorite are a Raven she painted on a round piece of wood and a dreamcatcher she made. I’m very proud how Alana has taken an interest in her culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle used to live in Hansville. That was a wonderful web site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Renaissance - Baroque - Art Analysis

Renaissance Art Analysis